Pride ‘Jazzy Air’ Powerchair (with 10” Power Adjustable Seat Height)
This chair, the Pride Jazzy ‘Air’ Powerchair, really is as the company says “a new era in power mobility.” I have to say that one of the biggest bugbears of my life in a wheelchair is the sense that conversations are always happening above my head. Well, this chair solves that problem because the seat can be elevated 10”, or anywhere in between, in just 16 seconds using the ‘Air’ button or the joystick hand controller. So, talking to your family or friends in your living room or at a party, accessing hard-to-reach cupboards in your kitchen or taking a stroll with your spouse in the park is no longer an inconvenience or something you want to avoid.
Eight features of the Pride ‘Jazzy Air’ Powerchair:
1. The chair has a maximum speed of 4 mph (non-elevated position) and 3.5 mph (elevated position) and it is possible to adjust up or down while on the move. All this movement may seem a little scary at first but Pride’s patented Active-Trac suspension provides maximum stability in both elevated and non-elevated positions.
2. On first look I was doubtful that the Pride ‘Jazzy Air’ Powerchair could be stable when in the elevated position. However, the column that connects the base with the seat is thick and very strong and I must say that it turns out that the wheelchair is not just stable, but very comfortable too.
3. The high-back sports seat can be ordered in a choice of three sizes: 16″ x 16″, 18″ x 18″ or 20″ x 20″. The contoured seat reclines and comes with a height-adjustable neck rest. And the footplate actually moves simultaneously with the seat as it’s moving up or down, adding to the level of comfort.
4. Because the Pride ‘Jazzy Air’ Powerchair has six wheels, with mid-wheel drive, it makes an incredible turning radius of just 22.5” possible.
5. With a driving range of up to 15+ miles on a charge with the two standard (U1) batteries, (an 18+ mile driving range is possible with an optional 40AH battery upgrade) and a ground clearance of 2” the chair is really practical for both indoor and outdoor use.
6. The chair weighs 225 lbs. (with batteries installed) with a weight capacity of 300 lbs.
7. The joystick/controller mount can be mounted on either the right or left hand armrest.
8. Bright LED marker lights, for safety, and a 60” lap belt come as standard.
It comes with a (limited) five-year warranty on the frame, a (limited) 13- month warranty on the electronics and drive motors. The batteries are not warranted by Pride and are covered by a separate six-month warranty, provided by the battery manufacturer.
One major consideration before purchasing is that the chair itself weighs 225 lbs., is not foldable and is far from portable – so taking it with you on a vacation or on a trip will be difficult unless you have a ramp or heist (e.g. Freedom Mobility Universal Scooter Lift) on your car or SUV or are using other accessible transportation.
If this stylish, good-looking, practical wheelchair is within your price range – give the Pride ‘Jazzy Air’ Powerchair a try – you may even become the life and soul of the party!