E-Wheels EW-36 Electric Mobility Scooter
Want to be the fastest, coolest kid (or adult!) on the block? Want to travel at breakneck speed and look good doing it? Then get aboard the E-Wheels EW-36, described by the manufacturers as “easily the fastest mobility scooter on the market.” You might have just met your match!
Seven features of the E-Wheels EW-36:
1. This 3-wheeler has a suggested weight capacity of 350 lbs. and a top speed of an incredible 18 mph.
2. The 48v 20Ah SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) battery allows for a driving range of up to 45 miles on a single charge. This battery can last for 200-300 charge/discharge cycles. But the batteries are soldered into place so replacing them requires the requisite equipment and skills.
3. The E-Wheels EW-36 Mobility Scooter has other special features – a digital anti-theft alarm system (even sets off a sound and light show if the scooter is tampered with!), seatbelt, speedometer, removable ignition key, two rear-view mirrors, lockable compartment under the seat in which to store your valuables, large rear storage basket, turn signals and a powerful front light.
4. The large, 19” wide, deluxe, captains seat has an adjustable backrest and a headrest for added comfort and it moves back and forth to ensure enough legroom and footroom.
5. Runs on pneumatic, tubeless, 16” tires and the two shock absorbers on the rear of the frame and one on the front wheel certainly make the ride very comfortable.
6. The E-Wheels EW-36 has an electromagnetic braking system as found in most electric wheelchairs and scooters. (With an electromagnetic braking system the unit will stop as soon as the joystick is released – hence the term “stopping on a dime.”)
7. It comes in a choice of ten colors (including ‘Sour Apple’ and ‘Green Camo’!)
There is a three-year (limited) warranty on the frame, a one-year (limited) warranty on the electronic components/controllers and the batteries are not warranted.
Since the E-Wheels EW-36 weighs 200 lbs. (with batteries installed) and is 61” in length it would be necessary to install an extra-long scooter lift (e.g. Harmar AL100 Mobility Scooter Lift) or heist (e.g.Harmar AL065 Micro Inside-Out Lift) on your car or truck if you wish to transport the chair.
As the seat doesn’t swivel so it’s impossible to get close to a table, for instance, so the user would have to have to be ambulatory enough to be able to move to a regular chair.
The very wide turning radius of 48” makes it tough to use indoors, which also makes it harder to find a charging point. So it would need to be garaged or certainly covered and protected from the elements.
I would have to say that “this is not your father’s mobility scooter!” I would treat it more like a moped than a “mall-runner.” The manufacturer warns “Having the seat slid completely back as well as the speed control dial at its highest adjustment increases its ability to “Pop a Wheelie” when the throttle is engaged. Use caution!” They even advise, “Always wear an approved helmet when riding your EW-36.”
It’s certainly the mobility scooter with the “wow” factor! And while the amazing top speed and driving range is a major attraction, unless you live in a neighborhood that requires you to climb steep hills or cross uneven ground and the extra power is a necessity I would only recommend this scooter to people who can handle the extra power. Yes, the E-Wheels EW-36 is classified as a “mobility scooter,” but anyone with strength, balance or vision problems would find driving it a challenge!