Drive Medical Bobcat 4-Wheel Travel Scooter
The Drive Medical Bobcat 4-Wheel Scooter has a very attractive price but if you’re thinking of purchasing this scooter I’d suggest that you analyze your mobility expectations carefully. If you just need a scooter to get around in your house or apartment or to use on a short-term basis, such as after an operation, then the Drive Medical Bobcat 4-Wheel Scooter might be a worthwhile option. But if you’re looking for a durable and dependable scooter suitable for travel and moving freely around your neighborhood then I’d say look for other options.
Nine features of the Drive Medical Bobcat 4-Wheel Scooter:
1. The scooter breaks down into four parts (the tiller, the seat, the base and the batteries) and the backrest folds down, making it easy to assemble and disassemble for storage in the trunk of a car or van.
2. A suggested weight capacity of 265 lbs, a good ground clearance of 2.5” and a top speed of 3+ mph.
3. The Drive Medical Bobcat 4-Wheel Scooter weighs 93 lbs., the heaviest component, the front section, weighing 38 lbs.
4. As with any 4-wheel scooter, certainly compared to a 3-wheeler, the stability is excellent.
5. Two 12v 10Ah SLA (Sealed Lead Acid) batteries weigh 18 lbs. and give a drive range of 7+ miles. They can be charged in or out of the scooter.
6. The 16.5″ x 13.5″ seat has a choice of three height selections and rotates within 210°, allowing you to turn around when the wheelchair is stationary.
7. Very importantly, the front tiller, with the controls and steering handles, can be easily adjusted for comfort and safety and to suit the needs of the person driving the scooter and the armrests flip-up for maximum comfort and convenience when boarding and exiting the wheelchair.
8. The Drive Medical Bobcat 4-Wheel Scooter comes with a large metal carry basket and anti-tip wheels.
9. Quite a variety of accessories is available, even a convenient trailer for transporting larger items!
With a lifetime (limited) warranty on the frame, 14-month (limited) warranty on the controller/drive train components and a six-month warranty on the batteries.
Its 42” length and really wide turning radius of 53” makes maneuvering around tight doorways in your home or aisles in the supermarket very difficult.
The Drive Medical Bobcat 4-Wheel Scooter weighs 93 lbs., the front section alone a heavy 38 lbs. so a good deal of strength is needed to handle this scooter.
The lack of any shock absorption and the four 8” flat-free hard plastic tires make for a very bumpy ride over any type of uneven ground.
So while I think this unit is great value if you’re on a limited budget or plan on using in just the short term – if you intend using this model full-time I would suggest you consider purchasing a more heavy-duty, durable scooter.